Admitted transfer applicants to the BFA and Combined Degree (BFA + BA/BS) program will receive a preliminary evaluation of transferable credit immediately following their admissions decision. While there are limits to the amount of credit a transfer student can receive within a given academic distribution area, we are generally able to grant credit for the maximum number of transferable studio courses. For questions regarding transfers of credit, contact the SMFA Admissions team.
Students interested in both the Bachelor of Fine Arts and 5-year Combined Degree apply directly through Tufts University using the Common Application. Everything that students need to apply, including the Tufts Writing Supplement, is hosted on the Common Application website. Tufts University only accepts transfer applicants to these programs for the fall semester.
Please indicate on your application if you are applying to the BFA or Combined Degree program.
- Completed Common Application. This application includes the Transfer Application, College Report, Academic Evaluation, Extracurricular Activities and application fee.
- Extracurricular Activities. In addition to extracurricular involvement, SMFA at Tufts seeks students who are especially engaged in art-making. Use this section of the application to tell us about the ways in which you share your work with the world and/or pursue opportunities to work in new mediums. If you have shown your work in your high school or at a local gallery, taken classes outside of school, or participated in a pre-college program, tell us about it.
- Tufts Writing Supplement. All applicants to Tufts must respond to two supplemental prompts. For both BFA and Combined Degree applicants, the second prompt will ask you to reflect specifically on your art practice. If you want to get a head start on your supplemental responses, you can view all Essay Questions on the Tufts Undergraduate Admissions site.
- All Secondary School Transcripts.
- Official College Transcripts.
- College Course Descriptions. These may be copied from your college catalogue.
- List of Courses In Progress on Transfer College Report.
- Transfer Mid-Term Report.
- Either SAT or ACT Scores. We will accept self-reported testing on the Common Application when students are applying. Students who are admitted and choose to enroll at Tufts will be required to send their official scores.
- Visual Art Portfolio. You must submit 15-20 images and/or up to 10 minutes of time-based work. See 文件夹 Requirements.
More details on the Tufts application requirements and deadlines for transfer students, as well as Frequently Asked Questions, are available on the Tufts Undergraduate Admissions site.
Transfer Application and Portfolio Deadline: March 30th
Transfer Admissions Decision Notification: Occur on a rolling basis